Chicken Cutlets in Tuscan Cream Sauce
Add a dash of Mother's Day magic at mealtime by making a wonderfully creamy dish that actually doesn't contain any cream! That's right, this silky sauce get's all of its creaminess from a small amount of cheese.
Prep Time: 5
Cook Time: 35 - 45 minutes
Course: Dinner / Main Course
Cooking Methods: Pressure Cook / Saute'
By: The Ultimate Healthy Instant Pot Cookbook by Coco Morante
1-1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut in half lengthwise
3/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1-1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 yellow onion diced
8 ounces cremini mushrooms sliced
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/3 cup drained oil-packed sun-dried tomato halves diced
6 ounces baby spinach one bag
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
3 tablespoons cream cheese or Two wedges Laughing Cow light Swiss cheese, room temperature
1/4 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon water
- Pat the chicken breasts dry with paper towels. Sprinkle them all over with 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and the pepper.
- Select the Sauté setting on the Instant Pot and heat the oil for 2 minutes. Using tongs, add the chicken in a single layer and sear for about 2 minutes, until lightly browned. Flip the chicken and sear for 2 more minutes, until lightly browned on the second side, then transfer to a plate. Add the garlic, onion, mushrooms, and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and sauté for about 4 minutes, until the onion begins to soften and the mushrooms begin to wilt and give up their liquid. Add the Italian seasoning, wine, and tomatoes and stir to combine, using a wooden spoon to nudge any browned bits from the bottom of the pot. Let the wine come to a simmer, then add the chicken breasts in a single layer on top.
- Secure the lid and set the Pressure Release to Sealing. Press the Cancel button to reset the cooking program, then select the Pressure Cook or Manual setting and set the cooking time for 5 minutes at high pressure. (The pot will take about 5 minutes to come up to pressure before the cooking program begins.)
- Let the pressure release for at least 5 minutes, then move the Pressure Release to Venting to release any remaining steam. Open the pot and, using tongs, transfer the chicken to a serving plate.
- Press the Cancel Sauté setting. Add the spinach and basil and stir until wilted, about 1 minute. Add the Laughing Cow (cream cheese) and Pecorino Romano cheeses and stir for 1 minute, until melted. In a small bowl, stir together the cornstarch and water, add to the pot, and stir for about 1 more minute, until the sauce is slightly thickened. Press the Cancel button to turn off the pot. Wearing heat-resistant mitts, lift out the inner pot.
- Spoon the sauce and vegetables over the chicken and serve right away
NUTRITION FACTS PER SERVING: Calories 223 | Fat 9g | Protein 27g | Fiber: 2g | Carbohydrates 9g