Beer Cheese Soup
Comforting, hearty, and made with beer and cheese… this might become one of your new favorite one-pot meal recipes!
5 slices bacon chopped
3 tablespoons butter
1 small onion finely diced
1/2 cup diced carrots
1/2 cup diced celery
1/3 cup flour
3 cups chicken broth
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
1/4 teaspoon cayenne or to taste
16-ounce grated sharp cheddar cheese
1-1/2 cups salted popcorn for garnish cheese popcorn works great or you can use croutons in a pinch
- Add bacon to the Instant Pot. Using the display panel select the SAUTE function. Cook and stir until bacon is crisp.
- Remove bacon with a slotted spoon and set aside on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Add butter, onion, carrots and celery to the bacon drippings and saute until slightly softened, about 4 minutes.
- Sprinkle flour over the vegetables and stir to coat.
- Add broth to the pot and de-glaze by using a wooden spoon to scrape the brown bits from the bottom of the pot.
- Add pepper, mustard powder, cayenne and beer to the pot and stir to combine.
- Turn the pot off by selecting CANCEL, then secure the lid, making sure the vent is closed.
- Using the display panel select the MANUAL or PRESSURE COOK function*. Use the +/- keys and program the Instant Pot for 7 minutes.
- When the time is up, perform a controlled release of the remaining pressure, watching out for any starchy spray.
- Using an immersion blender (or high capacity blender), puree the vegetable mixture until smooth.
- Gradually add cheese, stirring between each addition, until the mixture becomes thick and creamy.
- Adjust seasonings. Top with bacon and popcorn and serve immediately.
*The Manual and Pressure Cook buttons are interchangeable.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Serves: 6 to 8
By: Chop Secrets